Discover Horezu in Romania
May 2018 (0)
Weather in the Horezu Depression
Cost of gas: 5.72 ron/l
The Town of Horezu:
- The Anniversary Festival “Zilele Oraşului Horezu” (The Days of the Town) – it is organized annually, on the first weekend in September, celebrating the documentary attestation of the locality (05 September 1487). The manifestation programme includes: symposiums, book launching events, artistic shows, awarding the couples celebrating their golden wedding anniversary, sports competitions (chess, tennis, football, backgammon, cross-country running, cycling, etc.) for all ages;
- The Romanian Folk Pottery Fair “Cocoşul de Hurez”: it is organized every year, on the first weekend of June. The manifestation takes place on the plateau at "Stejarii" point, adjacent to DN 67 Rm. Vâlcea-Tg. Jiu. It is the largest Romanian folk pottery fair, in which take part ceramic artisans from all the great ceramic centres of the country and, since a few years, from foreign ceramic centres, the old fair becoming a truly international festival. It is the oldest and the best-known cultural event organized in the town of Horezu, visited at every edition by more than 15,000 Romanian and foreign tourists. It is an open-air exhibition of the most representative centres and types of Romanian pottery, but also an occasion for artistic manifestations, in which take part folk dance ensembles form various ethnographic areas, a real parade of folk costumes and songs.
- The Folk Fair “Izvorul Tămăduirii”: it is organized every year on the meadow of the Romanii de Sus village, on the first Friday after the Easter Holidays. The manifestation includes presentations and contests for the livestock breeders in the area, artistic shows, various presentations of folk art, etc.
- The Carols and Winter Customs Festival “Colindul Sfânt şi Bun”: it is organized every year on Christmas Eve, in the centre of the town of Horezu and at the “Constantin Brâncoveanu” house of culture in the locality. The manifestation includes a carolers’ parade and a competition of Romanian traditional carols interpretation. In the festival take part groups of carolers organized in the town schools and the neighbouring communes: Costeşti, Măldăreşti, Vaideeni, Tomşani, Slătioara, etc.
The Vaideeni Commune:
- The ethno-folkloric manifestation “Învârtita dorului” – it takes place every year, on the third Sunday of June, in the Vaideeni village, 6 km away from the town of Horezu (DJ 665). The festival includes a folk costume parade and a recital of songs from the pastoral folklore, with the participation of the bands and ensembles from various localities from Vâlcea, Sibiu, Alba, Gorj and other counties.
The Tomşani Commune:
- The folklore manifestation “Fagurele de aur” – it takes place every year, on the second Sunday of June, in the Tomşani commune, 6 km away from the town of Horezu (DN 67, DJ 646). It is a national feast of the beekeepers and an opportunity for cultural and artistic manifestations.
The Bărbăteşti Commune:
- The folklore manifestation “Brâul de Aur” – it takes place in the Bărbăteşti village, 17 km away from the town of Horezu (DN 67, DJ 646 E). It is a folklore festival including a folk costumes parade and it takes place every year on the 20th July (Saint Elijah’s Day).
The Pietrari Commune:
- The folklore manifestation “Hora costumelor” – it takes place every year, on the 29th April, in the Pietrari village, 15 km away from the town of Horezu (DN 67). The manifestation includes a folk costumes parade and a traditional crafts competition.
The Polovragi Commune:
- The folklore manifestation “Nedeea de la Polovragi” – it takes place every year, in the Polovragi village from the Gorj county, 22 km away from the town of Horezu (DN 67, DJ 665). It is a rural feast and a traditional fair that takes place around the 20th July (Saint Elijah’s Day).